- Managing design projects and supervising designers and art directors on major government contracts
- Researching and developing knowledge of best practices, emerging and state-of-the-art technologies to meet project needs
- Developing culturally sensitive and culturally relevant designs
- Developing unique and consistent branding across a range of materials
- Developing and implementing acute understanding of each client’s background, focus, needs, stakeholders, and targeted audience
- Managing design and creation of graphics, infographics, social media graphics, interactive web graphics, web pages, websites, videos, and animations
- Creating multilingual products
- Preparing and managing budgets
- Knowledge of Section 508 requirements
- Developing strategic conceptual designs and translating into visuals using web-based technologies
- Creating interactive tutorials and training modules
- Digital and software skills: Adobe (After Effects, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premier Pro), CMS Made Simple, Final Cut Pro, HTML, project management systems (Basecamp, RoboHead), WordPress
- Language skills: English, Mandarin, Cantonese
- M.F.A., Integrated Design, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, 2016
- B.S., cum laude, Corporate Communications, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, 2008
- Diploma, Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore, 1994
2016–2018: Senior Art Director, Palladian Partners, Inc., Silver Spring, MD
2015–2016: Art Director, Palladian Partners, Inc., Silver Spring, MD
2014–2015: Senior Graphic Designer, Palladian Partners, Inc., Silver Spring, MD
As an award-winning senior art director, supervised Palladian’s art directors and designers and oversees design projects on major contracts with government agencies. Provided art direction and designs and created a wide range of graphic materials and products for multiple agencies within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); the Office on Women’s Health (OWH); and various institutes, centers, and offices within the National Institutes of Health.
- Developed and implemented comprehensive strategies and designs based on an acute understanding of each client’s background, focus, needs, stakeholders, and targeted audience.
- Ensured compliance with each client’s graphic standards.
- Incorporated best practices and standard operating procedures.
- Incorporated understanding of targeted audience to develop culturally sensitive and culturally relevant designs and materials.
- Researched and developed knowledge of emerging and state-of-the-art technologies to meet project needs.
Conceived, produced, and oversaw development of various products, including the following:
- Web graphics, web pages, and websites
- Videos and animations
- Infocards and infographics for social media
- Interactive tutorials and training modules
- Branding, logos, and promotional materials
- Illustrations, images, photographs, charts, diagrams, and storyboards
Campaign, event, and outreach materials, including posters, signage, exhibits, and displays
- Public health and health education digital and print publications, training materials, and other products
2014: Senior Designer, Discovery Inc., Silver Spring, MD
2014: Senior Designer, Center for Applied Linguistics, Washington, DC
Previously, as a senior designer at the Center for Applied Linguistics:
- Assisted test production manager and fulfilled her responsibilities during her absence.
- Conducted organizational visual and brand management.
- Developed test items for web-based technologies, using InDesign storyboards, audio, HTML5, and CSS3.
- Directed art and graphic standards for text materials.
- Trained production and test development staff in new technologies and procedures.
2011–2014: Design Studio Director, International Arts & Artists, Washington, DC
Managed the design studio department at International Arts & Artists. Served as a member of the company’s executive management team, reporting directly to the company’s president. Provided creative and art direction for projects from both internal (five departments and overall organization) and external clients. As the design studio director:
- Attended weekly directors’ meeting and other strategic meetings for organizational growth.
- Conducted customer service–related activities to generate external income.
Developed and conducted long- and short-term business development strategies.
- Managed and executed all design and printing projects, from conception, budgeting, design, and development to post-production.
Managed department’s inventory of equipment, software, and graphic supplies.
- Prepared biannual reports for the board of trustees meetings.
Prepared and managed budgets, income projections, and business development activities.
- Prepared quotations for design service inquiries, solicited bids for service (e.g., printing, photography, and web programming), and submitted invoice processing requests to the administration department.
- Recruited, selected, and supervised other staff and interns working within the design studio.
- Worked closely with the finance manager on preparing budgets and reports (i.e., monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual).
2009–2010: Graphic Design Intern, KTD Creative, Washington, DC
2006–2011: Graduate Assistant for Student Communications and Graphic Design, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
2002–2007: Freelance Operations Manager, WOMAD Projects Singapore, Pte, Ltd., Singapore
2000–2005: Co-founder & Director, eadc, Singapore
In 2000, co-founded eadc, a boutique graphic design agency based in Singapore. From 2000 to 2002, served as senior designer on numerous website design projects and for print communications, with expertise in print and logo design. Took over eadc in 2003 and assumed both accounts and creative directorships. Managed business development, client servicing, and operations, as well as serving as creative director for lead projects.
1994–2000: Army Officer, Singapore Armed Forces, Singapore
- 2 Platinum, 2 Gold and 1 Honorable Mention, AVA Digital Awards, 2018
- 2 Bronze Awards, Vega Digital Awards, 2017
- 1 Gold Award, Hermes Creative Award, 2017
- 1 Bronze Award, 38th Telly Awards, 2017
- 1 Platinum and 2 Honorable Mentions, dotCoMM Awards, 2017
- 3 Award of Distinction, The Communicator Awards, 2017
- 1 Silver, 1 Bronze and 1 Merit Award, Digital Health Awards, 2017
- 2 Award Winner awards, Graphic Design USA, Health + Wellness Design Award, 2017
- 1 Award Winner award, Graphic Design USA, American Web Design Award, 2017
- 1 Bronze Award, Vega Digital Awards, 2016
- 5 Award Winner awards, Graphic Design USA, Health + Wellness Design Award, 2016
- 1 Silver Award, 11th Annual W³ Awards, 2016
- 1 Honorable Mention, MarCom Awards 2016
- 2 Award of Distinction awards, The Communicator Awards, 2016
- 3 Award Winner awards, Graphic Design USA, Health + Wellness Design Award, 2015
- Silver Award and 5 Honorable Mentions, Creativity Awards, 2013
- Award Winner, Creative Quarterly, 2012
- 2 Silver Awards and Honorable Mention, Creativity Awards, 2012
- Gold Award, Graphis New Talent Annual, 2011
- 2 First Place and 1 Third Place, International Design Awards, 2010
- Excellence Award, UCDA Design Competition, 2010
- Silver Award and Honorable Mention, Creativity Awards, 2010
- 2 Award Winner awards, Graphic Design USA, American Inhouse Design Awards, 2010
- 3 Merit Awards, AIGA/Flux Student Design Competition, 2010
- 2 Runner Up awards, Creative Quarterly, 2010
- Award Winner, American Graphic Design USA, American Inhouse Design Awards, 2009
- Second Place and Third Place, American Design Awards, 2009
- 2 Merit Awards, AIGA/Flux Student Design Competition, 2009
- 2 Honorable Mentions, Creativity Awards, 2009
- Award Winner, Good Design, 2007
- Gold Award, American Design Awards, 2005
- Standard of Excellence, Web Marketing Association WebAwards, 2005